Rise Up: Building Foundations for Lavender Phoenix Membership – Apply by Wednesday, 8/9!
Do you want to organize with trans, non-binary, and queer Asian and Pasifika communities?
Are you committed to social justice, liberation, and collective transformation?
Are you ready to learn concrete organizing skills and build movements for change?
The APPLICATION for Lavender Phoenix’s Inaugural New Member Cohort is OPEN!
This fall, Lavender Phoenix will launch Rise Up – our FIRST EVER training series designed to prepare a new cohort of transgender and queer Asian and Pacific Islanders living in the Bay Area to join our membership as rising leaders.
In this uniquely dangerous moment, we face rising right-wing attacks on trans lives, increasing economic instability, growing corporate power, climate devastation, and the wide scale abandonment of marginalized people by our government. We know that advancing justice and safety in this moment requires leaders grounded in the power of relationships, the strength of liberatory values, and a commitment to revolutionary purpose and action. If you are a trans and queer Asian and Pacific Islander living in the Bay Area looking for a political home we need you to join Rise Up!
Across five trainings, the inaugural Rise Up cohort will root in Lavender Phoenix’s history, values, and Theory of Change; strengthen their political praxis around abolition, healing justice, and building working-class power; develop key relational organizing skills; and build deep relationships with other incoming Lavender Phoenix members. At the end of the program, members will enter our membership by joining one of our five committees!
RESPONSIBILITIES: we expect all incoming members to…
- Attend all 5 virtual meetings on Sundays from 1-4pm PT (exact dates: 9/17, 10/1, 10/15, 10/29, and 11/12) and Rise Up Graduation (virtual) on Sunday, 11/18.
- Commit to organizing with Lavender Phoenix by joining one of our five committees for at least one year after completing the program.
- Build friendships and organizing relationships with current and other incoming Lavender Phoenix members.
QUALIFICATIONS: we invite you to apply for this program if you…
- Are a transgender, non-binary, and/or queer Asian and/or Pacific Islander person living in the Bay Area. All QTAPI Bay Area residents are invited to apply and we are specifically interested in uplifting the leadership of people who identify as Bay Area raised, Southeast Asian, South Asian, Pacific Islander, young people, elders and/or working class.
- Demonstrate excitement to practice queer API leadership in an organizing context.
- Consistently communicate and follow-through with your responsibilities and tasks.
- Possess a long-term commitment to the values and vision that guide LavNix’s work.
- Exhibit a desire to build intentional, long-term community with other queer API people.
- Display a commitment to growing, learning, and approaching challenges with humility.
- All applications are due by Wednesday, 8/9, at 11:59pm PT (no extensions).
- All applicants will be notified of their interview status by Friday, 8/11.
- All applicants invited to the program will be notified by Friday, 8/18