2023 Summer Organizer Program – Apply by 2/28!
Do you want to work with trans, non-binary, and queer Asian and Pasifika communities?
Do you have a commitment to social justice, liberation, and collective transformation?
Are you ready to learn concrete organizing skills and build movements for change?
The APPLICATION for Lavender Phoenix’s Summer Organizer Program is OPEN!
Applications are due February 28th, 2023!
Every year, LavNix embarks on a paid intensive summer fellowship to develop the next generation of transgender and queer Asian and Pacific Islander social justice organizers. At LavNix, we know trans and queer APIs are targets of interpersonal abuse, state violence, and systemic oppression. These forces have only escalated in recent years. Developing leaders in our own trans, non-binary, and queer API communities is critical to win true community safety, practice healing justice, and support larger movements for liberation. If you are a young trans and queer API organizer hoping to build your skills and strengthen your values, this is the program for you!
Throughout the summer, Summer Organizers will learn about transgender and queer API history; lead strategic personal projects; participate in intensive trainings with organizers across LavNix’s movement ecosystem; and build lifelong community. Past personal projects Summer Organizers have led include organizing queer Hmong storytelling workshops, connecting queer South Asians across generations, supporting trans and queer Pacific Islanders to practice asking for help, and advancing our Community Safety and Healing Justice work. Overall, Summer Organizers get to bring their full selves each day, work hard, laugh a lot, and have a blast.
Due to COVID-19, we shifted from an in-person fellowship to a transformative remote experience. After leading successful programs in 2020, 2021, and 2022 (see reflections here!), we’re continuing to offer this program online for young organizers to build meaningful relationships and shape our organization. We will prioritize applicants who live in the SF Bay Area during the program.
we expect all Summer Organizers to…
- Spend 15-20 hours each week working with LavNix staff and other Summer Organizers.
- Participate in two weekends of training (6/17-6/18 and 7/8-7/9), preferably in-person.
- Build friendships and organizing relationships with other Lavender Phoenix members.
- Raise $1,000 as a member of the LavNix Give OUT Day Fundraising Team in mid-June.
- Receive feedback with grace and share honest, direct feedback with their coworkers.
- Lead personal project designed by LavNix staff and geared to your skills and interests.
- Commit to continue organizing and supporting LavNix’s community after the program.
- Meet once-a-week with the Summer Organizer cohort to reflect and practice feedback.
- Join day-long orientation in mid-June (TBD) and closing graduation in early August (TBD).
we invite you to apply for this program if you…
- Are passionate about working with transgender and queer API communities
- Have experience recruiting and collaborating with others in a team environment.
- Demonstrate excitement to practice queer API leadership in an organizing context.
- Consistently communicate and follow-through with your responsibilities and tasks.
- Possess a long-term commitment to the values and vision that guide LavNix’s work.
- Exhibit a desire to build intentional, long-term community with other queer API people.
- Display a commitment to growing, learning, and approaching challenges with humility.
- All applications due by Tues., 2/28 at 11:59 PM PT (no extensions).
- All applicants will be notified of their interview status by Thurs., 3/2.
- 1st Round Interviews will be conducted from Thurs., 3/2 to Thurs., 3/9.
- 2nd Round Interviews will be conducted from Tues., 3/14 to Tues., 3/21.
- All applicants invited to the program will be notified by Thurs., 3/30.
- The program will run 8 weeks from June to August (Dates TBD).
- A modest stipend of ~$3000 will be offered to participants.